Zucchini Brownies
I was frantically looking for my favorite pineaple zuchini bread recipe and cam across this recipe that I must have cut from the Menominee County Journal years ago. It is from Debbie Grinsteiner, Debbie's Kitchen Korner.
I was worried about the fact that there were no eggs. Apparently the grated zucchini supplies all the liquid needed to bind the brownies together. It was moist and delcious.
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cips sugar
2 cupes grated zucchini, unpeeled (If using a large zucchini, cut in half and scoop out the seeds)
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsps baking soda
2 tsps vanilla
2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup oil (I used Canola oil)
1/2 cup nuts, options; (I used chopped pecans)
1/2 - 1 cup chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS
Combine oil and sugar. Add the zucchini and vanilla. Mix flour with cocoa, salt and baking soda. Adds this gradually to the zucchini. (NOTE: If the mixture feels crumbly after folding in the dry ingredients , let the bowl sit on the counter for 3 to 5 minutes. The sugar will pull water out of the zucchini, turning the dry mixture into a thick, glossy batter .) Stir in the nuts and half of the chocolate chips, if using. (NOTE: I think the chocolate chips add an important sweetness to the brownies). Make in a greased and floured 9 X 13 inch pan. The batter is stiffer than I expected so spread evenly. I sprinked half of the chocolate chipes on top as well.
Bake at 350 degrees in the oven for 30 minutes.
Dust with powdered sugar.
I didn't try this but the recipe says you could make this a little healthier by cutting the sugar to 1/2 cup and substitute 1/2 of the oil for applesauce. This would change the texture of the brownie. Instead you could try these ideas for making the dessert healthier. The brownie would still be fudgy and chewy.
- Reduce the sugar to 1 cup
. - Keep the full ½ cup of oil using a neutral, "heart-healthy" oil (like avocado or canola oil)
- Use dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips on top to add rich chocolate flavor
.
No comments:
Post a Comment