Thursday, July 24, 2014

BEETS N’ BLUEBERRY SALAD

Recipes from Barb Cummings 7/24/14
BEETS N’ BLUEBERRY SALAD

2 lbs fresh beets
2 lbs fresh or frozen blueberries (We picked ours!)
¼ cup sugar (I used a little less and I'm not sure any would be needed.)
1/3 cup sunflower oil ( I used olive oil… all I could find here!)
¼ cup white wine vinegar (I used a combination of cider vinegar & white wine.)
½ tsp salt
1 tsp freshly grated ginger (Surprisingly these folks had grated fresh ginger in their freezer!)
Grated zest of one orange

Scrub beets.  Roast in tightly covered dish for 1 ½ hrs until knife inserted comes out clean.  (I put some water in with the beets.  My pan was a mess, but it cleaned up okay.)
Cool.  Slip off skins.  Cut into half-inch cubes and place in large bowl.  Add blueberries.
Mix together sugar, white wine vinegar, oil, salt, ginger and orange zest .    Let set for at least an hour.  Could serve with additional zest as a garnish.  (I did not have more zest.) 
This will keep – and even improve – for a week.  (So it’s okay that it makes a large batch!)

I serve it on a bed of greens and sprinkle a few blue cheese crumbles on it..

Enjoy,

Shirley Senarighi

No comments:

Post a Comment