Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Fall dinner ideas from Food & Wine

http://amp.foodandwine.com/recipes/fall-dinner-ideas

The 1st recipe was fantastic though I did not make the beet puree or Swiss chard.

I made the Rigatoni with Veal Bolognese and Butternut Squash when Mike's mom visited in October.

Next up was QUINOA SALAD WITH SWEET POTATOES AND APPLES.
It was fantastic. Made a great fall lunch option.


 Next up is SALMON STEAKS WITH CURRIED FENNEL-WINE SAUCE


or  PORK CHOPS WITH ROASTED PARSNIPS, PEARS AND POTATOES
I went with the pork chop recipe and loved it. Mike though isn't fond of parsnips, the baby.

The Curried Carrot and Apple Soup is fantastic.  This is a soup to make on the weekend when you have more time. Mike LOVED it. Such a great mix of sweet and spice. Chardonnay was the recommended wine but actually Gewürztraminer would have been better. Other options would be a Spatlese Riesling, possibly a Chenin Blanc or Viognier, something sweet with a little acid.

Last night I made the Chicken Apple Stir Fry. Definitely harkens fall with that touch of cinnamon. It was SO perfect with Chardonnay!!!!!!!!!!!


Here is a great stay at home Saturday night option, Anise Pork with Figs and Apples . I served it with sweet potatoes and roasted green beans. WOW!  Easy to make.  Mike LOVED IT!!!!!

I plan on making  Pasta with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce and Toasted Hazelnuts as we taste Thanksgiving wine options on the eve on Thanksgiving.  To the right are the wines we sampled. The pasta was a great pairing with both of the Cabernet Franc options. I also served the Curried Carrot and Apple soup.  That was an EXCELLENT pairing with the Gewurztraminer.


Karen Barr and I celebrated her birthday on November 30th.  I made her Braised Chicken with Apples and Calvados. I used an apple liqueur. It was fantastic.  I served it with left over sweet pototoes, and left over stuffing.  Perfect way to use those great left overs. I absolutely loved the shitake mushrooms!

Speaking of left overs, the next day I combined the sauce from this dish with leftover pasta with creamy pumpkin sauce.  Boy was that delicious! 

Next up is Butternut Squash Casserole with Leeks, Proscuitto and Thyme. This is one of the menu items on 12/5/2017 as we study the wines of Bordeaux. This was a great side dish with venison chops and was a great compliment to the wines of Bordeaux.

On December 14th I made MUSTARD-ROASTED PORK LOIN WITH SQUASH POLENTA
Actually I cooked a boneless pork loin as described in this recipe and served it with cauliflower that I had cooked in milk with a little salt and pepper and then pureed. The pork was outstanding. Great combination with a little applesauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment