Friday, November 25, 2022

Christmas 2020

 We have had 3 amazing weeks with Claire this year, Dec 6 - 29, 2020

Week 1
The weather was mild with temps in the 40s.  I could have put my kayak in the water. Claire worked 10 - 12 hour days and we enjoyed fun conversations, wine and wonderful food at the end of those long days. Claire used my office and set up in the dining room and kitchen. It has been fun relocating and enjoying the views.

On the weekend we searched for Sunday Funday wine. Claire needed the wine for some cocktail research. We traveled to Little Lake, MI and found the wine at Brown's Store.  We also found the wine in Gwinn, MI. It was a fun trip. We circled back to Iron Mountain, attended mass at Immaculate Conception. The Christmas dinner at The Chippewa Club was canceled due to pandemic restrictions in MI. We ordered an array of appetizers and a tenderloin dinner to go.  What wonderful taste sensations.
This first week was also Mike's introduction to the Harry Potter series.  It was fun watching this again.
There were stunning sunrises, Beautiful white swans and other water fowl to observe. 
And stunning night skies.
Mike and I picked out the tree on Tuesday after church and we decorated it on Sunday.  It is the best tree ever and so much fun decorating it together.

Week 2
Tons of work continued for Claire, Mike and myself along with a trip to Eagle River, for an eye appointment, a trip to Escanaba for packages. Mikes travels for doctors appointments and work.

We also had a visit from Santa, Santa's elf and Rudolf. What wonderful neighbors. Santa and his elf enjoyed one of Claire's amazing Holiday Cocktails along with Cranberry Salsa, cream cheese on a cracker. 

A fun Virtual Wine Study event.  We are tasting through then Holiday Vinebox together. This week we sampled some French white wines.  Claire and I also tried a wonderful white Bordeaux. Most of my work concluded on December 18th and I could turn my attention to holiday preparations. Claire and I started by creating our Christmas eve menu which included some experimental appetizers. We tested the stuffed mushroom recipe over the weekend and made almond joy bars and my moms pecan lazers.
I will remember these days of work and conversations, of walks in the woods, of beautiful river views.  This time with Claire and Mike has been most precious.

Week 3
Snow on Monday shifted our trip to Minocqua to Tuesday. Claire and I had to be super efficient with stops at MCC, the post office, Ann Marie's, Kathy Bosacki's, Trigs and Tasty Take n Bake. We got back just in time to travel to Escanaba for a wonderful dinner ala John Dailey. I got to share Linda's fruit cake with Lorraine.  It was heavenly.  Now I know what fruit cake is suppose to taste like.
We tasted through amazing wine while Claire was home. This is a sampling of the wines from week 2.
Claire helped me with the Christmas cards on Wednesday and we mailed them in Norway on our way to pick up the tenderloin from Borderland Specialty Meats, Foods and SmokehouseThis is an amazing place and super friendly people. We decided to cook the tenderloin on Christmas day,  What a great idea. I smothered it in herbs, seasoning and garlic so it would be ready.

Claire and I began making the appetizers Wednesday afternoon through Thursday.  



Two new appetizers: BUTTERNUT SQUASH, PEAR AND RICOTTA BRUSCHETTA WITH SAGE OIL  from The Floating Kitchen and  Baked Broccoli Poppers with Honey-Sriracha Dipping Sauce from Oh My Veggies. The Butternut Squash app was a big success.  We used goat cheese instead.  The squash spread was incredible. We saved the broccoli app for January 2nd.  They were delicious.  I love the honey sriracha sauce and the peanuts. A little too spicy for Mike but it is a dipping sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment