Raw Kale Avocado Salad
NOTE 3/16/13: I am testing some ways to incorporate Kale in my diet. I plan to give this recipe a try. It discovered it at this site. http://happyfoody.com/2008/02/12/raw-kale-avocado-salad/
(February 12, 2008)
Kale is an amazing food. You should eat lots and lots and lots of it. We’ve been eating it daily here…in the form of juice, smoothies, and salads. You can check out its awesome benefits and nutritional content here. Anytime you can avoid cooking something…it’s better. However, kale tends to be rather tough and stringy when raw. One of the most common raw recipes you’ll see out there is the raw kale and avocado salad. The mixture of salt and lemon juice essentially “cooks” the leaves and breaks them down enough to make it a delicious salad.
I first saw this recipe in Alissa Cohen’s cookbook, Living on Live Food…but you can find so many different versions of this salad across the web. I’ve adjusted the ingredients to my taste, but as always…tweak it to YOURS!
- 1 head kale, shredded (I prefer the taste of curly kale for this one)
- 1 cup tomato, chopped (fresh salsa is also delicious!)
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil or hemp seed oil (go for less if you can)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Celtic or Himalayan sea salt, to taste (1/4 – 1/2 t)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- For extra yummy…add 1-2 sheets untoasted nori (snip up with scissors into little bits)
- Optional toppings: raisins, pine nuts, hemp seed nuts, sesame seeds
In mixing bowl, toss all ingredients together. Mush everything together (with hands) to created marinated/wilted effect on kale. This makes it much tastier and easier to digest.
Here is a great video by the raw food coach, Karen Knowler…demonstrating how to make this salad: