NOTE: This needs to be made the day before serving.
2 cups dry lentils (half green/half red). I used French lentils for the green ones.
5 cups chicken stock
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2 T. chopped cilantro
6 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1 t. salt
1/2 t. coarsely ground pepper
12 green pimento stuffed olives, sliced
12 black olives, pitted and sliced
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 cup sliced mushrooms
- Cook lentils in chicken stock until done, but al dente (still firm to the bite. (NOTE: my red lentils were half lentils so I add them to the green lentils half way through the cooking process.)
- Drain excess liquid and chill.
- Combine all other ingredients
- Mix cooled lentils and the other ingredients. Cover and marinate overnight in refrigerator
- Adjust seasoning with more garlic,lemon juice, cilantro, salt or pepper before serving.
I served the salad with avocado slices and tomatoes.
So delicious. I will definitely make this again.