5 Tbsp. margarine (divided)
1/4 cup chopped yellow or white onion
1 large clove garlic, peeled, halved
2 lbs. fresh broccoli
1 large rib celery, washed
1 large carrot, peeled
4 green onions
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Dash of nutmeg or to taste
1 1/2 cups skim milk
4 ounces shark Cheddar cheese, grated
- In heavy 4-quart kettle, melt 1 Tbsp of the margarine over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 cup yellow onion and garlic saute, stirring constantly, 2 minutes, or until onion is transparent; remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut off broccoli stalks and discard. Divide broccoli into small, 1 inch long florets (you should get about 3 cups). Rinse thoroughly and drain; set aside.
- Cut celery into 1/8 inch diagonal slices. Using food-processor julienne blade, hand grater or a sharp knife, cut carrot into 1/8 by 1 inch long julienne strips. Slice green onions into 1/4 inch pieces. You should get 1/2 cup celery, 1 cup carrots and 1/2 cup green onion.
- Remove and discard garlic from sauteed onion in kettle; stir in chicken broth. Add broccoli florets and prepared carrot, celery and green onion. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat to simmer. Cover, leaving cover just slightly ajar to prevent broccoli from turning drab in color. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, melt remaining 4 Tbsp margarine. Whisk in flour, salt , pepper, and nutmeg, mixing until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, about 1 minute, or until it bubbles. Then gradually whisk in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 4 minutes. Add cheese, whisking until cheese melts. Pour cheese sauce into broccoli-chicken broth mixture in kettle. Stir until soup is blended. Makes 6 servings.