2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs)
2 Tbsp sweet butter (unsalted)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
4 Tbsp raspberry vinegar
1/4 cup chicken stock or broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 Tbsp canned crushed tomatoes
16 fresh raspberries (optional)
- Cut each chicken breast into halves along the breastbone line. Flatten each breast half by pressing it gently with palms.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Raise the heat, add chicken, and cook for about 3 minutes per side, or until lightly colored. Remove from skillet.
- Add onion to the pan and cook, covered, over low heat until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, raise the heat, and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until vinegar is reduced to a syrupy spoonful. Whisk in chicken stock, cream, and tomatoes and simmer for 1 minute.
- Return chicken to skillet and simmer, basting often with sauce, until they are just done and the sauce has been reduced and thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to overcook.
- Remove chicken from sauce and arrange on a heated serving platter. Add raspberries to the sauce and cook over low heat for 1 minute. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve immediately.