3 lb sweet Italian sausage
3 Tbsp olive oil 1 cup finely chopped onions (optional)
3 sweet red peppers, seeded and cut into julienne strips
1 cup dry red wine
1 can (2lb, 3 oz) Italian plum tomatoes, including liquid (I use Progresso crushed tomatoes)
1 cup water
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
salt and freshly ground pepper
dried red pepper flakes
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
6 (or more) garlic cloves, minced
- Prick sausage with a fork and put them in a pot with 1/2 inch of water. Set the pot over medium heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. The water will evaporate and the sausages will begin to cook in their own fat. Turn them occasionally, cooking for an additional 10 minutes, or until well browned. Remove and drain on paper towels
- Pour sausage fat out of the pot. Set over low heat. Add olive oil and onions and cook, covered, until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add the peppers, raise the heat, and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add wine, tomatoes, water, oregano, thyme, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the sausages into 1/2 inch thick pieces When the sauce has simmered for 30 minutes, add sausage and fennel seeds and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes.
- Ad parsley and chopped garlic and simmer for another five minutes.
- Serve over 2 lb cooked pasta of your choice (best with bowtie pasta, but can also use penne)