Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Start to Finish Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
2 hours 15 minutes
Mom made this recipe all the time. It is so delicious that you can hardly stop eating it especially when it is hot out of the oven.
4 cups flour, sifted
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound butter
1/4 cup milk, scalded then cooled to luke warm
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon flour
2 packages yeast
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup milk, warm scald, then cooled
1/2 pound butter, melted
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup walnuts, chopped fine
1 cup raisins , optional
- Part 1: Sift the flour and salt and mix in the butter as for a pie crust. use two knives or a pasty blender.
- Part 2: Scald 1 1/4 cup of milk and cool to luke warm. Combine the sugar, flour and yeast in a 1 cup measuring container or a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the luke warm milk. Mix this together and let rise to the top of the cup.
- Part 3: Combine the beaten eggs with the remaining cooled milk (1 cup) and the sugar. Mix together and add to part 2, mix then add to part 1. Mix together.
- Put in a large bowl, cover with a cloth and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Divide into three parts and roll out like a heavy pie crust. Melt the butter. Mix together the sugar, cinnamon and chopped walnuts. Spread a thin layer of butter on the dough. Then spread a thin layer of the sugar and nut mixture. Sprinkle raisin or craisins to taste.
- Roll like a jellyroll. Put in a pan and cut lengthwise on top (not all the way through. Let rise until double in bulk.
- Bake 350 degrees for 1/2 hour.