Sunday, January 23, 2011

Poppy Seed Babovka


Recipe from: Anna Kostelec, 1959.  This is the same recipe that my mom used.  When I found it in her recipe box it was yellowed with age and use.  I love finding recipes written in her own hand.

 Ingredients:
3/4 cup shortening, butter and Crisco mixed
1 ¾ cup sugar
4 whole eggs
1 tsp. level cinnamon
1 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 TBLSP vanilla
½ lb ground poppy seed (1 ½ cup)
½ cup milk, cold
1 cup mashed potatoes
½ cup fine walnuts

Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together.  Cream shortening with sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add milk, alternating with flour mixture, then add vanilla, potatoes, poppy seed, and nuts.  Beat well after each addition.

Grease a babovka form or angel cake pan, and dust with flour. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour, on middle rack.  This keeps well, and tastes even better the second day. “Good luck.”

I made this recipe for the first time in 2006 for my friend Karen.  I new that Karen liked lemon poppy seed cake and I wanted to make something like that for her birthday. I made this cake except I didn’t realize that the poppy seeds needed to be ground and made it with them whole.  It turned out very good except that the poppy seeds get stuck in your teeth. I also made the lemon filling below and served it on the side.  That was a nice combination.

Lemon Filling

3 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1 lemon rind grated fine
Juice of one large lemon

Cook over low heat until jellied. When cool, add a tsp. oil. Beat until thick

This recipe was also from mom’s recipe box.

No comments:

Post a Comment