3-4 lb chicken
1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
¼ c parsley
¼ clove garlic
10 oz can Rotel tomatoes and chilis (we like HOT)
¼ t – full t of Cajun seasoning
Splash, or 3 or 7 of Tabasco J
1 cup sliced okra
- Stew chicken with salt and pepper, about 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken and clean the meat, discard fat and bones, but reserve the broth. I save it all and freeze some, you’ll need about 2 quarts of broth for this.
- If you can find roux mix at the store, it is easier, but it is hard to find above the Mason Dixon……so over med hi heat brown ¼ cup bacon grease and flour until it is smooth and dark brown. Otherwise, use ½ cup of roux mix. If you use the mix, just sprinkle it in with the broth and bring to a boil to thicken. If you use the bacon grease, add some of the warm broth to it ½ c at a time until it is thinned back down and dump the whole back into the pot with the rest of your stock.
- Bring to a boil and it will thicken.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet, brown your sliced sausage, chopped onions, pepper, celery, parsley and garlic until tender. Add to the broth. Put in the chicken, tomatoes, remaining seasonings and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours.
- Add sliced okra and simmer 20-30 minutes more.
- Now, put a lid on it and let the flavors seep together for 8 hours
- Either refrigerate or cold garage it over night.
- Re-heat, serve over rice with chives. Great with cornbread and beer, too.