I first made this recipe in 1998 for Thanksgiving. It was a big hit, and I have made it almost every year since then.
3 lbs. sweet potatoes
1 large apple (Cortland works well)
3 Tablespoon flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup cream
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1. Peel sweet potatoes, cut into 1-2 inch chunks. Place in a large sauce pan, cover with water and boil until soft. Drain the water and then mash with a potato masher.
2. Place smashed cooked sweet potatoes in a 2 quart casserole dish.
3. Peel, core and slice the apple. Arrange the apple slices on top of the potatoes
4. Combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter with 2 knives or a pastry blender
5. Add pepper, cream and nuts, combine with a fork.
6. Spread on top of the apples.
7. Place on top shelf of a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the topping bubbles.